Sunday, August 26, 2012

Mission Statement

Me and my Dad
First, a confession. I'm not a writer. This will become painfully apparent as you follow my posts.

Second, and the reason for this whole thing, I'm fat. I've never been this large in my life. I've really let myself go in the past 5 or so years. I've also been married for 5 years. I'm not saying this is the reason I'm fat, I have a very supportive wife. We now have 2 kids, the youngest 13 months, and my wife looks great. She has been running, shedding the pounds, and fitting into clothes she wore before our wedding. Me, I just had to buy a new pair of pants because none of my dress clothes fit. How the fuck did I let it get this bad?

I love my job. I love my family. But in the past 5 years I have been very distant to all my friends. To them I want to sincerely apologize. I think that a portion of the distancing is because of my appearance. I'm embarrassed about how I look. I need to go to work. I need to see family. Friends, they should be a higher priority in my life.

So where are these ramblings going? I'm going to challenge myself. Once and for all, I'm going to get in shape. And I'm going to chronicle it. Why, you may ask? Mostly to keep me on track. If you read this, and you see me veering from my mission, kick me in the ass! PLEASE!! I give you permission.

So, what is my mission, you may ask. I want to weigh 180 lbs by 40 years old. Simple, right? So much so that I named my blog after the mission.

180 by 40

I haven't weighed myself for a while, but I'm around 300 lbs. I'm 5'11". I'm supposed to be 180. I'm also 38 1/2 years old. Let's do some quick math:

  • 557 days until my 40th birthday
  • 120 lbs to lose
  • 1.5 lbs per week
That's not impossible! Sensible diets say that a healthy weight loss is up to 2 lbs per week. Nice! Wish me luck! 

5 comments:

  1. Wow, great post and great mission > YOU WILL DO THIS! We are with ya!! (p.s. throw a little motivation my way, if you can spare it?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck buddy! I'm dealing with the same issues with weight as well. It's hard especially with my crazy schedule to stick to an eating plan, but with the help of having an 18 month old pushing me to do better i think it's attainable.

    ReplyDelete