Friday, February 15, 2013

Boot Camp

I've never really been a huge fan of the group exercise classes. I've taken them in the past, but I much prefer to work out on my own, at my own pace. But with this plateau that I've found myself on, I decided to mix it up a little and attend a Boot Camp class at the gym at work. I have taken some classes in the past, mostly yoga and spinning, but that's about it. The Boot Camp kicked my butt!! This class was scheduled for an hour. I got there 10 minutes early to stretch and get myself mentally ready. The class started promptly at 3:30, and by 3:45, I found myself on my back, struggling for breath, right outside of the studio. I was light-headed, and I've had a history of fainting, so I know when I need to take a break and just lay down. After 15 minutes of just laying there, I got dressed and headed home with my tail between my legs. As I was driving home more than halfway there, I looked down at my clock and noticed it just turned 4:30. How could those other poor souls have survived that whole hour? I'm using this as a humbling learning experience. I'm happy that I've lost over 40 lbs. I'm happy that I feel better and have more energy. But I still have a long way to go to get where I want to (and need to) be. I'm not letting this experience derail me on my journey, I'm trying to use it as motivation to work harder so that I CAN get through that whole class. Not the next time I take it, maybe not the 5th time I take it next, but I will get through that whole class! I now have a new goal! I mentioned that I participated in yoga classes in the past. These weren't just any normal yoga, it was the type that they have the class at elevated temperature. This was back when I was in good shape, when I was single and trying to pick up chicks :) My first class, I lasted 2 positions. So that class, I lasted 2 minutes, and I stayed in child's pose for 58 minutes. No joke!! But the instructor checked on me every 10 minutes, told me to stick with it, and to come back again. I did, and by the end of about 10 classes, I was able to complete a bridge! This was HUGE for me. I was still never able to complete a WHOLE class, but I did last 40-45 minutes into the hour long class. So I jump headlong into these new experiences. I should probably smarten up and take it easy until I'm used to these new positions, moves, muscle groups, etc, pace myself. But I know I'm not going to. I don't know if it's pride, competition, or if I'm just scared that I'm going to look like a quitter or a slouch. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not going to change any time soon. And I don't think I want to change THAT portion of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment