Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Vacation

We just returned from a fabulous family vacation in Ft. Myers, FLA. We spent some quality time with Lindsay's parents, who are spending the winter down there. The kids got to swim and play outside, and I got to golf (that's right, in February!!).

My goal for this vacation was that I needed to workout every day I was down there. The complex that they live on is a private golf course, so the roads were not busy at all with traffic; ideal for jogging. The community also had a clubhouse with a fitness center. I would be crazy if I didn't take advantage of it. I "jogged" 2 of the days, in the morning. It was brutally hot and muggy, even first thing in the morning, and my fragile new jogging style was not really ready for it. But I did complete each of the 2 days, so that was good. The other days I spent in the gym. The first day at the gym was a simple elliptical machine day. The last day, the day we flew home, I tried a workout recommended by Andrea, my SIL. That deserves a whole post to itself, I just need to say that my legs are still burning a whole 36 hours after the workout!

The other thing that you do on vacations is eat out a lot, which we did. I'm still watching my calories, and adjusted my diet accordingly, kinda. I'll explain... I'm not as extreme as those that you see on TV when ordering from a restaurant (hold this, no that, substitute this for that, etc.), but I did adjust my meal option. We went out to a cool fish restaurant, and I SO wanted the fried clam basket with fries. I was almost there for ordering, but I changed it to the shrimp tacos. The shrimp were grilled, not fried, and I didn't use any tarter sauce, which I would have if I have had ordered the clams. So that saved on a bunch of calories, and the tacos were excellent. I also tried to limit my portion size, we went to an Italian place, and I could have housed my pasta meal, but I saved some for lunch the next day. So baby steps in this category.

The overall results, which showed up on the scales today.... I was DOWN overall!! Only 0.2 lbs, but still, in the past I would have gained a bunch on a vacation like this. So the vacation was such a success. It proved I could go and have a great time with my family, eat out, exercise, and still meet all my goals even though I'm away from home. Good vacation indeed!

1 comment:

  1. Eric, you should be really proud of yourself. You've got such a great mind set now, that there's nothing you can't do. There is nothing easy about getting up every morning and trying new exercises and pushing your body to its max, especially with working and parenting. You've lost a great amount of weight, but you've gained so much more in terms of confidence and strength. You always have our support!

    Love,
    Andrea, Drew, & Leo :)

    ReplyDelete